The exhaust system on the donor Roadster was up to me from the catalytic converters back so I decided to design a system which had a nice sporty note on idle and acceleration. As well as obtaining ideas from the Morgan V6 forum I talked to a tech at Magnaflow in the US (they design systems for the 3.7 Mustang) and omitting the X pipe which cannot be fitted to the Mog he suggested a 4” x 24” resonator up front and a stubby 6” x 6” muffler at the rear. Both full flow units. Pipe is 2.25” all the way from the headers (factory is 2”)
I was able to buy the Magnaflow parts from the Australian importer, and along with some stainless mandrel bends from my normal supplier, I have finished fabricating the system. For anyone interested in the details, the Magnaflow products I bought were 2 x MagnaFlow 10425 - Performance Mufflers and 2x MagnaFlow 14158 - Race Series Mufflers.
It will be a few weeks before I can start the engine to see how it sounds.
Five link suspension and new wheels.
When I read about the new Suplex 5 link rear suspension a couple of years ago I thought it sounded great but it’s not really traditional Morgan so I decided to stick to the original cart springs. Move forward to now and that has all changed with the factory now building all new Roadsters with a 5 link suspension.
I decided to bite the bullet and fit a complete set of upgraded front and 5 link rear suspension from SSL, the British company which now supplies Morgan with components and carries what was formerly the Suplex brand. This was a big investment but with the chassis unencumbered by a body it was the ideal time to fit these components.
SSL shipped the parts (44kg) to me and have been most helpful throughout. The parts reflect their premium pricing - beautifully made.
The photo shows the 5L as installed in the Project Phoenix chassis which is early Plus 8.
I have also bought a set of 15” x 7” Australian made Superlite wheels. Ordered with an offset which allows plenty of room for an upgraded exhaust system.
3.7 V6 motor and Transmission installed in Project Phoenix chassis.
Motor Rebuilt for Project Phoenix
On 31st December I completed the rebuild of the 3.7 Roadster V6 engine. This comprised a new short motor, new timing cover, new RH cylinder cover, new aircon compressor, new harmonic balancer, RH head cover and a few other bits and pieces. All parts were purchased from Ford dealers in the USA.
The original cylinder heads, alternator, water pump and LH cylinder head cover were moved from the old (damaged) block.
Next step is bolting on the flywheel, clutch and transmission and fitting it all into the chassis.
V6 3.7 Gear Lever relocation
Whilst waiting for the engine parts to arrive from the USA for my V6 engine rebuild I decided to modify the remote gear lever extension on the 6 speed MT82 transmission. Most owners of the 3.7 Roadsters would acknowledge that the gear lever position on those cars is less than desirable, being too close to the driver and often meaning that when engaging 2nd, 4th or 6th one’s elbow hits the seat cushion. The whole experience being akin to trying to eat a meal on economy air travel.
Later roadsters do not have this problem as the factory modified the original mustang gear extension to move the gear lever forward. This is quite easy to do however the gearbox/transmission tunnel needs to be modified as does the trim. As I have neither the tunnel or the trim I decided to go ahead and modify the extension. The pics below show before and after the modification which moved the gear lever 70mm forward, approximating the gear lever position in my ‘75 Plus 8. By removing the centre transverse swivel point the feel of the gearchange is also improved. My design was based on several aftermarket gear selectors for the Mustang which either eliminate or reduce the number of swivel points.
Left pic shows the original gear lever extension.
Right pic shows the modified extension moving the gear lever 70mm forward.
Enter the 1995 Plus 6!
June was a big month as I had the opportunity to buy the body and other parts from a 2013 Roadster that had been declared a statutory write-off (meaning it could not be registered again).
The parts from this wreck will find a home on my Project Phoenix car, including the body, easy up mohair hood and side curtains, fuel tank, dashboard, aircon, wiring loom and 6 speed gearbox. The 3.7 V6 has external crankcase and timing cover damage so I intend to buy new parts to rebuild the engine as that will allow me to use the car’s ECU, fuel delivery system and other related parts. This is a big change from the original plan to install the Ford EcoBoost engine but will make the rebuild that much easier.
The body has only minor dents and despite the impact of the accident, only two pieces of timber are damaged. Remarkable!
This is a marvellous boost to Project Phoenix as I was just about to start making a body from scratch ( I had even bought a band saw to make the frame).
I guess the car will now become a 1995 Plus 6!
With other projects needing attention Project Phoenix slowed a bit last year but I have still managed to do a few things. This pic shows current status with floors loosely in place, pedals and brake booster in place and electro-hydraulic steering rack now installed. I will be doing a full write up on the steering rack installation in due course.